You may teach it like this or come up with your own plan.
Divided into groups (teams) of 3 or 4. If you have dictionaries for teams to use, they are very helpful.
1) Tell students we’re talking about zombies today. Write “zombies” on the board.
Ask Ss these questions and write their answers on the board (target answers in parentheses):
A) What is a zombie? (A dead person moving around; A monster)
B) What do zombies look like? (Disgusting, gross, dead)
C) What do zombies do to people? (Bite them; eat them)
D) What happens if a zombie bites you? (You turn into a zombie)
2) Tell Ss to imagine what would happen if zombies came to Yeosu. What would they do?
3) Tell Ss we’re watching a movie trailer for Resident Evil 3, found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh7qwF23ijI (also linked on the power point) Ask them to imagine what if this happened in Yeosu.
1) Open PPT (s1). Ask Ss to give another English word for “survive” (live). Make sure they know the meaning is that it’s hard to live (you have to fight to live).
2) Give each team one handout. Tell them we’ll start with part A (s3). With their team, they are going to make a Zombie Survival Kit (Ask students or your Co-T to define “kit”).
1) Tell students we’ll first talk about the most basic things they should have in their kits. Ask them the questions on the slide to generate their replies: “If zombies attack Yeosu, is the water safe to drink?” (NO!) “Then what do I need?” Volunteer Ss should reply with a full sentence, i.e. “I need bottled water.”
2) (s18 – s20) Ask students why they might need these items in their kit as well. (My favorite answer for s20 is that garbage bags are to put dead zombies in)
1) Give students about 5 – 10 minutes to make a list of 16 things they need for their team’s Zombie Survival Kit. (This is where the dictionaries are very helpful) If their groups/teams don’t already have a name, they should also think of one and write it on the handout where indicated.
2) When most of the teams are finished, have one or two Ss from each team share two or three new things that they chose for their kits and explain why they need them. (“We need a nuclear bomb to destroy all the zombies.”) Write these things on the board and have students or Co-T explain any that the other students might not know.
- Zombie Attack Worksheet[restrict…]Zombie Attack Worksheet[/restrict]
- Zombie Attack Power Point[restrict…]Zombie Attack Power Point[/restrict]
- Zombie Adventure Story Game[restrict…]Zombie Adventure Story Game[/restrict]
- Zombie Attack Part A Worksheet[restrict…]Zombie Attack Part A [/restrict]
- Zombie Attack Part B[restrict…]Zombie Attack Part B [/restrict]
Tell students we will be making a Zombie Survival Plan next, so they should start thinking about it.